Gaelic Whisky

You would think that the first stop on a holiday to Skye ought to be Talisker but I was staying in the south of the 'Misty Isle' and it wasn't long before I had sniffed out the nearby Gaelic Whisky company, Praban Na Linne.

In a small room which is part of their headquarters I tasted the range they had to offer and asked some questions of the young man helping us. I gathered that two of their range were blends and that a further two were single malts.

When I asked where the whisky actually came from I was told that nobody knew "it's from an illicit still" Yeah right!

Suitably sold on the romance of drinking whisky from an illicit still and having exhausted the conversation I plumped for a bottle of MacNaMara Rum finish and a their best seller (so I was told) Te Bheag.

Two more different whiskies you couldn't imagine. MacNaMara Rum finish is incredibly sweet, but very welcome pre-dinner I found. Te Bheag is more earthy, smokey, nutty to taste but doesn't linger very long.

Both drinkable, both affordable and both worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment